· The twenty J80 who have been taking part in the Baitra J80 Winter League in Baiona since last January return this weekend in a double day
· The eight-meter fleet will compete in the fourth stage of tests on Saturday from three in the afternoon and the fifth on Sunday from eleven in the morning
Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen is in the lead with six points followed by Ameneiro’s Alboroto with eleven and Marías de Cunha with fourteen
The twenty J80 who have been taking part in the Baitra J80 Winter League in Baiona since last January return to the water this weekend in a double competition day. The eight-meter fleet will compete in the fourth and fifth stages of the championship on Saturday from three in the afternoon and on Sunday from eleven in the morning.
There will be two days of tests in which it is planned to put into play a total of six tasks (three per day) of the windward-leeward type, and in which, if test number 11 is completed, a new discard will come into play, which will once again offer crews the chance to remove their worst result from the standings.
With six races in two days of regatta and the possibility of a discard being applied, everything indicates that this weekend’s double day will be decisive in terms of shaping the final podium, since once this phase is over , only the last three tests will be held, scheduled for next April 2.
Until now, Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen is the team that has been the most solid in the competition, with four first places and one second. He leads with 6 points followed by Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Alboroto (with 11 points) and Manel Cunha’s Marías (with 14 points), who close the provisional podium.
For the first day of Saturday, the forecasts announce a wind of between 7 and 11 knots from the south, with the possibility of shifting and falling in intensity as the hours progress.
· The sailboat led by Javier de la Gándara signed the best results of the Baitra J80 Winter League this Saturday and was able to climb from fourth to first position
· The Portuguese crew of the Marías, who were leading the one-design competition, ran out of steam on the second day and had to settle for second place
· El Cansino by Fernando Yáñez managed to stay in the third position that he dragged from the first day and the climb of the day was carried out by El Alboroto by Juan Carlos Ameneiro rising from position 12 to 4
· The one-design competition of the Monte Real Club de Yates sponsored by Baitra Accesorios Navales resumes its tests on April 10
Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen gave no respite this Saturday in Baiona and in addition to achieving the best results on the second day of the Baitra J80 Winter League, managed to take the lead from Manel Marías’ Marías, who was in the lead after the stage inaugural.
The Gándara sailboat, led by the historic sailor from Vigo and crewed by his two sons Jaime and Javier, with the usual Diego Fernández also on board, signed two first and one third and once again demonstrated why it is one of the favorites to win with the ultimate victory.
In the ascent of the Okofen, the fall was for the young Portuguese crew of the Marías, who was affected in the final classification of the day for crossing in sixth position in the first test. Despite recovering pace in the other two, in which he achieved a second and a third place, he had to settle for the second step of the provisional podium.
Just the opposite happened to Fernando Yáñez’s Cansino. It started strong, with a second place, but it lost steam as the regatta day progressed; and the fourth and eighth places that he signed in the rest of the races did not allow him to climb positions beyond the third place that he had dragged from the first stage.
In fourth position is Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Alboroto, in which this Saturday the presence of the Spanish J80 champion, Javier Aguado, was noted. His good work helped the crew climb positions from 12th to 4th place. It was, without a doubt, the climb of the day, for one of the sailboats with the best results (one first, one second and one fourth in the tests held).
Closing the Top 5 of the Baitra J80 Winter League we find Santiago Estevez’s Spaco, which does not change its position with respect to the first day. They are followed by Luna Nueva by Juan Luis Tuero; the SDN Cormorant of Francisco J. Martínez; and the Ferralemes by Jaime García.
Further down the classification we find Maija by José Luis Pérez; The Galley of Miguel Fernández; Rafael Blanco’s Due; Joao Nuno Allen’s Ifaclinic.com; and Jaime Barreiro’s Petrilla. And they close the list of Luis de Mira’s Namasté; the Pazo de Cea by Iago Carballo; the Miudo by Nacho Salgueiro and the Mondo by Bernardo Macedo.
The Baitra J80 Winter League organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates with the sponsorship of Baitra Accesorios Navales will return to the bay of Baiona on April 10 with three new tests that will take the monotypes into the halfway point of the competition.
Previously, the Monte Real will host the Spanish Optimist Championship during Easter, between March 31 and April 3, which will be officially presented next Tuesday at one in the afternoon at the club’s facilities.
BAITRA J80 WINTER LEAGUE MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB Classification after the second day held on March 20
1. OKOFEN · JAVIER DE LA GANDARA · 9 POINTS 2. MARÍAS · MANUEL MARÍAS · 12 POINT 3. TIRED · FERNANDO YÁÑEZ · 17 POINTS 4. ALBOROTO · JUAN CARLOS AMENEIRO · 19 POINTS 5. SPACO SANTIAGO ESTÉVEZ 25 POINTS 6. NEW MOON JUAN LUIS TUERO 31 POINTS 7. SDN CORMORÁN · FRANCISCO J. MARTÍNEZ · 35 POINTS 8. FERRALEMES · JAIME GARCIA · 36 POINTS 9. MAIJA · JOSE LUIS PÉREZ · 36 POINTS 10. LA GALERA · MIGUEL FERNÁNDEZ · 37 POINTS 11. DUE · RAFAEL BLANCO · 38 POINTS 12. IFACLINIC.COM JOAO NUNO ALLEN 43 POINTS 13. PETRILLA JAIME BARREIRO 44 POINTS 14. NAMASTE · LUIS DE MIRA · 52 POINTS 15. CEA MANOR IAGO CARBALLO 62 POINTS 16. MIUDO IGNACIO SALGUEIRO 72 POINTS 17. MONDO BERNARDO MACEDO 72 POINTS