· The boat led by the Finn champion Miguel Fernández Vasco and crewed by juniors from the Real Club Náutico de A Coruña won the final victory in the winter league organized by Monte Real
· The crew snatched victory from the current Spanish J80 champion, Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Alboroto, from Monte Real Club de Yates, who came second
· Alberto García’s Solventis closed the podium in third position and the Portuguese Marías and 4 Jotas of Manel Cunha and Joaquim Moreira completed the Top 5, respectively
· The competition ended with the 7 tests held in the previous 5 days, since this Saturday the lack of wind did not allow any sleeve to finish
This Saturday one of the most disputed editions of the Baitra J80 Winter League came to an end in the Vigo estuary, which year after year is organized by Monte Real Club de Yates with the sponsorship of Baitra Accesorios Navales for the exclusive fleet of 8-meter one-design boats.
After six days and a total of seven tests held, the Kotablue Fibra Coruña 14/18, from the Real Club Náutico de A Coruña, led by the Finn champion Miguel Fernández Vasco, won the competition, registering his name for the first time in the honor roll of the winter league, with 15 points resulting from partial scores of 1-3-1-4-5-1.
It was not an easy victory for the Herculean team, which fought tooth and nail for the laurels. On the third day of testing, the crew made up of several juniors from the A Coruña Sailing School (Esteban Martínez de la Colina, Juan Maciñeira and Carmen Martínez de la Colina), managed to rise from tenth to third place; and in the penultimate stage he made the leap to the first, unseating Alboroto, champion of Spain, from the lead.
He maintained that first place without difficulty this last Saturday of competition, in which the lack of wind prevented any test from completing more than the seven that had been held in previous days, so the classification was identical to that of the penultimate stage .
“It is a victory that makes me very happy,” declared Fernández Vasco at the end of the league- because it has been very well worked and because all the crew members who have competed with me during these months are students from the A Coruña sailing school, Optimist, Laser and 420, which shows the potential of these guys and the firm commitment that our club is doing for light sailing”. “Our objective now is to continue training hard to present ourselves strongly in the Príncipe de Asturias Trophy and the J80 World Championship next September in Baiona”, concluded.
The silver medal went to the Rampage of Juan Carlos Ameneiro, Javier Aguado, Juan Lago, Javier Lago and Amador Riveiro. The current champion of Spain in the class, after remaining in the lead until the penultimate day, was unable to win the final, but he was able to win second place, since he repeated the previous edition. He finished just one point behind Fibra Coruña, with 16 points (1-3-1-4-5-2).
Behind them, closing the podium with 22 points (6-2-4-2-2-6), the Solventis crew, led by Malalo Bermúdez de Castro and Alberto García, hung the bronze around their necks. And they completed the Top 5, in fourth and fifth position, the Portuguese Marías, by Manel Cunha; and 4 Jacks, by Joaquim Moreira.
And completing the list of the ten best ones are Spaco by Santiago Estevez, Miudo by Sergio Golpe, Maija by Castor Alonso, Cansino by Fernando Yáñez and Waikiki by Andrés Gómez.
After returning from the water this Saturday without having been able to celebrate any test due to lack of wind, the crews met on land to participate in the awards ceremony for the winners. The event was attended by the general director of Baitra Accesorios Navales, Juan Carlos González, sponsor of the competition. The mayor of Baiona, Carlos Gómez; the General Secretary for Sport of the Xunta de Galicia, José Ramón Lete Lasa; and the president of the MRCYB, José Luis Álvarez.
The Baitra J80 Winter League is the first of the two leagues that the Monte Real Club de Yates organizes exclusively, each year, for the J80 fleet. The second event will be in October with the Autumn League, but previously the 8-meter monotypes have marked on the calendar what will be the great event of the year with sailing in Baiona, the J80 World Cup, which will be held next September .
BAITRA J80 WINTER LEAGUE 2023
Final classification TOP10 after 6 days (7 tests)
1. FIBER A CORUÑA · MIGUEL FERNÁNDEZ VASCO · RCN A CORUÑA · 15 POINTS
2. RIOT · JUAN CARLOS AMENEIRO · MRCYB · 16 POINTS
3. SOLVENTIS · MALALO BERMÚDEZ DE CASTRO · MRCYB · 22 POINTS
4. MARÍAS · MANEL CUNHA · MRCYB · 30 POINTS
5. 4 JACKS JOAQUIM MOREIRA CV ATLÁNTICO 37 POINTS
6. SPACO · SANTIAGO ESTÉVEZ · MRCYB · 39 POINTS
7. MIUDO MARGA CAMESELLE MRCYB 46 POINTS
8. MAIJA CASTOR ALONSO MRCYB 52 POINTS
9. TIRED FERNANDO YÁÑEZ MRCYB 56 POINTS
10. WAIKIKI ANDRÉS GÓMEZ MRCYB 58 POINTS