- The historic sailor from Vigo returned on the last day of the trophy to snatch the podium from Cansino de Nano Yáñez who was leading the standings and had to settle for second place
- Enrique Porto’s Ferralemes was the best boat in the last three races held this afternoon in Baiona and got onto the championship podium with a meritorious third place
- The Monte Real Club de Yates thus puts an end to its 2017 sports season and is now preparing for 2018 in which it will organize the Spanish J80 Championship
Baiona, November 25, 2017.- Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen signed this afternoon in Baiona the closing of a spectacular regatta season with victory in the AXA J80 Autumn League, a triumph that adds to those achieved this year in the Winter League, the Conde de Gondomar and the Príncipe de Asturias Trophy, in which it also won the title of best J80 boat of the season.
At 58 years old, the historic sailor from Vigo continues to show that what he had, he retained, and that on the water, aboard a J80, there are very few skippers capable of facing him. In this last edition of the autumn one-design league, the commodore of Monte Real, Nano Yáñez, tried it, who managed to overtake Okofen on the penultimate day, but finally had to settle for a meritorious second place.
Okofen and Cansino were, without a doubt, the two standout yachts in the AXA J80 Autumn League, a competition that finished just one point behind each other, taking gold and silver respectively. Enrique Porto’s Ferralemes, the best boat in the last three races held this afternoon in Baiona, maintained the third position that it had held since the previous stage and won bronze in the league.
El Marías – Houses of the Roof by Manuel María Cunha; Luis de Mira’s Namasté , skippered today by Javier Torroja, and Juan Luis Tuero’s Luna Nueva were fourth, fifth and sixth respectively. complete the ranking of Meltemi by Guillermo Blanco, the Pazo de Cea de María Campos, which had Willy Camaño today at the cane; the Miudo by Storax crewed by coaches and students from the Monte Real Sailing School; the Mondo by Bernardo Macedo; the Cormorant II by Yago González-Robatto; Diego Carral ‘s Gallery and the SND Cormorant by Francisco J. Martínez.
After the dispute in the water, the facilities of the Monte Real Club de Yates, the organizing club of the championship, hosted the awards ceremony for the winners. A fraternization dinner was held, attended by the participating crews, members of the club’s board of directors and representatives of AXA Seguros, sponsor of the competition, with the director of the AXA Foundation, Josep Alfonso, at the head.
With the AXA J80 Autumn League, the Monte Real Club de Yates puts an end to its 2017 sports season, which included the celebration of 11 trophies, two of them specific to the J80 class. The monotypes, in charge of closing the current year, will once again play a major role in 2018, opening the season with the Winter League and with the celebration of the Spanish Championship of the class, which Monte Real will organize, by delegation of the Spanish Sailing Federation, from April 27 to May 1.
FINAL CLASSIFICATION AXA J80 AUTUMN LEAGUE
- OKOFEN Javier de la Gandara 14 points
- TIRED · Fernándo Yáñez · 15 points
- FERRALEMES Enrique Porto 17 points
- MARIAS – CASAS DO TELHADO · Manuel María Cunha · 24 points
- NAMASTE Luis de Mira 31 points
- NEW MOON Juan Luis Tuero 31 points
- MELTEMI Guillermo Blanco 41 points
- CEA PAZO María Campos 43 points
- MIUDO BY STORAX · Carlos Hernández · 45 points
- MONDO · Bernardo Macedo · 54 points
- CORMORAN II Yago González-Robatto 54 points
- LA GALERA Diego Carral 60 points
- SND CORMORAN Francisco Martínez 76 points