· The Marías of the Cunha family won the final victory of the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League held since last October in Baiona
· The Okofen of Javier de la Gándara from Vigo tried to revalidate the title achieved in the previous edition but finally had to settle for silver
· Completed the winners’ podium of the one-design championship organized by the MRCYB el Cansino led by the young woman from Vigo Alejandra Suárez
· With the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League, the Monte Real Club de Yates puts an end to a regatta season that included a total of 11 trophies
This Saturday, the Marías became the winner of the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League, the one-design championship that had been held in the waters of Baiona since last October under the organization of the Monte Real Yacht Club.
The Cunha family’s sailboat, armed by José Valentím Cunha, skippered by Manel Cunha and crewed by José María Cunha, Vasco Tinoco and Marta Ramada, managed to prevail over the total of 20 with partial 2-2-1-1-2 participants.
Especially significant for the Portuguese team was having beaten its most direct rival, Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen, from Vigo, who had come ready to revalidate the victory achieved in the previous edition of the Autumn League, but who finally had to settle for the competition silver.
“Having beaten Javier, who for us is an idol, and from whom we have also learned a lot, is a milestone,” said Manel Cunha, crew leader, at the end of the competition. “Our goal is to continue preparing for the World Class to be held in Baiona in 2023 and this victory encourages us and drives us to continue training and improving” .
The Marías and the Okofen, which alternated the provisional podiums during the five days that the competition lasted, finished first and second with 8 and 9 points, a minimal separation of just one point that demonstrates the great quality of both crews, who fought until the end to hang the laurels.
The bronze of the championship went to the Cansino, another of the boats that knew how to maintain itself throughout the league in the positions of honor thanks to the balance that involved the good work of the young Alejandra Suárez from Vigo and the boards and experience of Nano Yáñez and Ignacio Sánchez Otaegui.
El Cansino came third in the standings and on the last day consolidated that position with 22 points, 16 points above fourth-placed Luis de Mira’s Namasté (38 points). Fifth place went to Bernardo Macedo’s Mondo, with 41 points.
Marías, Okofen, Cansino, Namasté and Mondo finally made up the TOP 5 of a competition that experienced very complicated days due to the weather, with suspensions, postponements, shortenings, waiting times, route changes, calls to the general classification, protests… there were everything from the beginning and the end was no different.
In the last stage, held this Saturday, only one of the three tests on the program could be held. A second was started, but could not be completed due to a drop in the wind. The winner of the sleeve was Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Fuss.
The AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League ended with a fraternization dinner organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates for all the crews. Previously, the award ceremony for the winners was held, in which the General Secretary for Sports of the Xunta de Galicia, José Ramón Lete Lasa, participated; the deputy mayor of Baiona, Óscar Martínez; the president of the MRCYB, José Luis Álvarez and the directors of AEDAS Homes Pablo Rodríguez-Losada and Pablo de la Torre.
With the closing of the one-design championship, Monte Real put an end to its 2021 sports calendar, which included the celebration of the traditional Prince of Asturias, Count of Gondomar, Repsol and Comunica Trophies, a new edition of the National Awards for Sailing, the Autumn and Winter Leagues, the Galician Two-Handed Championship, the Spanish Optimist Championship and the Final of the National Women’s Sailing League. This year the club also organized the Ruta Rías Baixas, to complete the Camino de Santiago by sea; and suffered the postponement due to COVID19 of the 52 SUPER SERIES, which will finally arrive in Baiona in 2022.
AEDAS HOMES J80 FALL LEAGUE
Final overall ranking TOP 10
1. MARÍAS MANEL CUNHA MRCYB 8 POINTS
2. OKOFEN · JAVIER DE LA GANDARA · MRCYB · 9 POINTS
3. TIRED · ALEJANDRA SUÁREZ · MRCYB · 22 POINTS
4. NAMASTE · LUIS DE MIRA · MRCYB · 38 POINTS
5. MONDO BERNARDO MACEDO MRCYB 41 POINTS
6. FERRALEMES · ROSARIO GARCÍA · MRCYB · 42 POINTS
7. MAIJA CASTOR ALONSO MRCYB 43 POINTS
8. SPACO SANTIAGO ESTÉVEZ MRCYB 44 POINTS
9. SND CORMORÁN FRANCISCO MARTÍNEZ MRCYB 45 POINTS
10. DUE · RAFAEL BLANCO · RCN PORTOSÍN · 46 POINTS
….. up to 20 classifieds that can be consulted at www.mrcyb.es