40 Optimist sailors from the main sailing schools in Galicia will meet this weekend in Baiona at the Baitra Trophy
· The regional test is organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates with the sponsorship of the firm from Baitra Naval Accessories Baitra
· The main objective of the competition that will be held over two days on Saturday and Sunday is to promote grassroots sailing in Galicia
40 Optimist sailors from the main sailing schools in Galicia will meet this weekend in Baiona to participate in a new edition of the Baitra Children’s Sailing Trophy, which the Monte Real Club de Yates is once again organizing with the sponsorship of Baitra Naval Accessories to promote basic sailing in Galicia.
The Club Marítimo de Canido, the Real Club Náutico de Vigo, the Club Marítimo Carrumeiro and the Monte Real Club de Yates itself will be represented in the regional competition, which will take place over two days, next Saturday and Sunday.
During the two days that the competition will last, the fleet will compete in four categories: A, B, C and School. For them, the regatta committee will schedule a maximum of six tests inside the Bay of Baiona. They will be trapeze routes lasting approximately 40 minutes, with a shortened route for School sailors.
On Saturday the tests will begin at half past two in the afternoon, once the sailors’ reception in Baiona and the meeting of coaches and committees have finished. The first starting signal on Sunday will be given a little earlier, at half past eleven, with the aim that the regattas can be finished before half past four, the time at which the awards ceremony is scheduled to be held. Trophies will be awarded to the top three finishers in each category and the winner of each will also receive a check to purchase nautical equipment.
The Baitra Dinghy Sailing Trophy is celebrated one more year thanks to the sponsorship of Baitra Accesorios Navales, a company dedicated to the commercialization and distribution of quality naval accessories and equipment, based in Baiona, which for years has maintained a firm commitment to children’s sailing in Galicia.
· Martín Wizner from Vigo and Pedro Ameneiro from Pontevedra, current world champions under 17 in the 420 class, add a new success to their meteoric career
· The team made up of Africa Alonso and María Pérez Canal won the prize for the best female crew in the competition organized by Monte Real
· In the SUB 17 category, the winners were Jacobo García and Antoni Ripoll from the Real Club Náutico de Sanxenxo, who also came third overall.
· The winners received their prizes from the manager of Baitra, Juan Carlos González, a great promoter of grassroots sailing in Galicia
Martín Wizner from Vigo and Pedro Ameneiro from Pontevedra have just been proclaimed winners of the Baitra Dinghy Sailing Trophy, held this weekend in Baiona under the organization of the Monte Real Yacht Club and sponsored by the Baitra naval accessories company.
The current world champions under 17 in the 420 class achieved victory after signing two first places and one third in the three races held in the Saturday’s stage , results that were maintained after Sunday’s day, in which it was impossible to play any heat due to lack of wind.
With a highly refined technique and a great competitive spirit, the young sailors, from the 2001 generation, adapted to the Baiona course as the tests progressed. “The first heat was a bit difficult for us and we broke the crow’s feet but in the second, already accustomed to the roles, we picked up the pace and placed first, and in the third we were able to stay without problems” , Ameneiro assured at the end of the trophy.
Wizner and Ameneiro thus add a new success to their meteoric career, a resume that already includes, in addition to the under 17 world championship, the silver of the Athens European Open and the bronze of the 420 junior European Championships, held in Lago di Garda (Italy). Their next challenge, for which they are already preparing, is the Spanish Championship for the class, which will be held next March in Gran Canaria. “We are very excited -says Wizner- and this trophy has served as training to continue improving for the national”.
Therefore, the great trophy of the championship will go to the Real Club Náutico de Vigo, a cast replica of the Crab Battery that the winners received from Juan Carlos González, manager of Baitra and one of the great promoters of basic sailing in Galicia.
Another crew from the nautical ship from Vigo, the winner of the previous edition, formed by Jorge Enríquez and Guillermo Núñez, managed to climb to the second podium drawer; and the tandem Jacobo García-Antoni Ripoll, from the Real Club Náutico de Sanxenxo, completed the winners’ podium by hanging the bronze medal.
In addition to finishing third overall, García and Ripoll won the prize for the best U-17 crew, beating Africa Alonso and María Pérez Canal, from the Vigo yacht club; and Yago Castro and Jaime Wizner, who were second and third respectively.
The girls took, in addition to the second prize in U-17, the award for the best female crew of the competition.
Present at the awards ceremony for the winners were the president and several directors of the Monte Real Club de Yates, as the organizing club; the manager of Baitra, as sponsor of the event; the mayor of Baiona, Ángel Rodal; the councilor for maritime activities of Baiona, Raúl Costas; and the president of the Galician Sailing Federation, Manuel Villaverde.
The next appointment with the regattas in Baiona will be the Infinitus Rent Trophy, for J80 monotypes, which next weekend celebrates its fourth day, with Miguel Lago’s Virazón at the head of the classification.
DAILY SAILING BAITRA TROPHY FINAL GENERAL CLASSIFICATION
1. Martin Wizner and Pedro Ameneiro · Royal Nautical Club of Vigo 2. Jorge Enríquez and Guillermo Núñez · Royal Nautical Club of Vigo 3. Jacobo García and Antonio Ripoll · Real Club Náutico de Sanxenxo 4. Alejandro Pérez and Iago García · Royal Nautical Club of Vigo 5. Manuel Lorenzo and Guillermo Rodríguez · Real Club Náutico de Sanxenxo
SUB–17 CLASSIFICATION BAITRA SAILING LIGHT TROPHY
1. Jacobo García and Antoni Ripoll · Real Club Náutico de Sanxenxo 2. Rodrigo Rodríguez and Eduardo Pola · Club Marítimo Canido and Real Club Náutico Rodeira 3. Africa Alonso and María Pérez-Canal · Real Club Náutico de Vigo
FEMALE CLASSIFICATION BAITRA SAILING LIGHT TROPHY
1. Africa Alonso and María Pérez-Canal · Real Club Náutico de Vigo 2. Alba Trigo and Carmen Fernández · Royal Yacht Club of Sanxenxo 3. Rosalía Martínez and Sandra Trigo Monte Real Yacht Club
· Martín Wizner from Vigo and Pedro Ameneiro from Pontevedra will be two of the sailors who will compete in the competition organized by the Monte Real Yacht Club
· The crews will measure their strength in six regattas that the committee will distribute between the days of Saturday and Sunday depending on the weather
· The naval effects company Baitra repeats as a sponsor and consolidates itself as one of the main promoters of basic sailing in Galicia
The main yacht clubs in Galicia will move their teams of 420 to Baiona this weekend to compete in the Baitra Trophy, a competition promoted by the Monte Real Club de Yates in which the best sailors in the class will meet.
Among them will be, among others, Martín Wizner from Vigo and Pedro Ameneiro from Pontevedra, who last January were crowned in Fremantle (Australia) as world champions under 17 in the 420 class. We will also see on the water the team formed by Jorge Enríquez and Guillermo Núñez, winners of the previous edition of the Baitra Trophy.
Sanxenxo, Vigo and Rodeira are the clubs that send the most sailors to Baiona, where more than fifty athletes between the ages of 15 and 18 will gather. Teams from Portosín and Oza will also participate in the trophy, as well as from the Monte Real Club de Yates itself.
The participating crews will sail as a fleet and will measure their strength in six regattas that the committee in charge of the organization will distribute, depending on how the weather behaves, between the days of Saturday and Sunday. Today the forecasts indicate that there will be good wind to race, from the north and more than 12 knots of intensity.
At the awards ceremony, scheduled for Sunday at five in the afternoon, the manager of Baitra, Juan Carlos González, will participate, who for yet another year has established himself as one of the main promoters of grassroots sailing in Galicia through sponsorship of different competitions and events.
Also present will be the mayor of Baiona, Ángel Rodal; the president of the Galician Sailing Federation, Manuel Villaverde and several directors of Monte Real.
In addition to having its own classification, the Baitra Trophy, of a classifying nature for the category, will continue to define the 420 ranking of the Galician Sailing Federation.