· The 13-year-old sailor from the Monte Real Club de Yates Yago Marquina won the Optimist A category
· The Real Club Náutico de Vigo won in Optimist B and C thanks to the sub-13 Roque Tourón-Figueroa and the sub-11 Pedro Vecino
· The smallest sailors of the School Class did not go out to haggle on this first day due to the weather conditions
· The Baitra Trophy ends tomorrow, Sunday, with the last tests starting at half past eleven in the morning and the awards ceremony in the afternoon
The Monte Real Club de Yates and the Real Club Náutico de Vigo signed the first victories of the Baitra Children’s Sailing Trophy, which this weekend is held in Baiona under the organization of the Baionian yacht club and sponsored by Baitra Accesorios Navales.
On the first day of regattas, held this Saturday inside the bay of Baiona, the young sailors, aged between 8 and 15 years, played for provisional leadership in three races in the bay of Baiona. They did so in difficult conditions, especially because of the wind, which blew at around 16 knots on average but reached peaks of up to 21 knots at times.
The harshness of these conditions made the regatta committee decide to leave the youngest sailors, from the School Class, who are still starting out in the sport of sailing, ashore. The sailors from Optimist A, B and C did go out on the water, and put on a show proving their worth on the courses between buoys designed for the championship.
In the Optimist A class, the winner was the 13-year-old sailor from the Monte Real Club de Yates, Yago Marquina, who did a fantastic job on the water. After the three races held, he took first place, leaving second and third place to Rubén de Ramón, from the Carrumeiro Maritime Club; and his club mate, Lucas Albaladejo.
In the Optimist B class, the winner was the under-13 sailor from the Real Club Náutico de Vigo, Roque Tourón-Figueroa. Pablo Marquina from the Monte Real Club de Yates and Jorge Astiazaran from the Real Club Náutico de Vigo were second and third respectively.
In Optimist C , the Real Club Náutico de Vigo captured the three places of honor on the provisional podium, which are occupied by Pedro Vecino, at the top; Paco Riveras and Luis Wizner.
The Baitra Children’s Sailing Trophy continues tomorrow, Sunday, with the second and final day of testing and the subsequent awards ceremony for the winners, at the Monte Real Yacht Club facilities. Directors of the organizing club will participate in it and the manager of Baitra, Juan Carlos González, will also be present as sponsor of the event.
CHILDREN’S SAILING BAITRA TROPHY
Monte Real Yacht Club Baiona, May 25 and 26, 2019
PROVISIONAL CLASSIFICATION AFTER THE FIRST DAY
OPTIMIST CLASS A
1. Yago Marquina Monte Real Yacht Club
2. Rubén de Ramón · Carrumeiro Maritime Club
3. Lucas Albaladejo Monte Real Yacht Club
OPTIMIST CLASS B
1. Roque Tourón – Figueroa Royal Nautical Club of Vigo
2. Pablo Marquina Monte Real Yacht Club
3. Jorge Astiazaran · Royal Nautical Club of Vigo
OPTIMIST CLASS C
1. Pedro Vecino Royal Yacht Club of Vigo
2. Paco Riveras Royal Nautical Club of Vigo
3. Luis Wizner Royal Nautical Club of Vigo