· An orange alert with sustained winds above 30 knots and gusts of more than 40 delayed the premiere of the final of the National Women’s Sailing League for more than 5 hours, which is being held this weekend in Baiona
· A parenthesis of improvement in the weather allowed the holding of two tests in which the Dorsia Covirán Sailing Team prevailed, armed by Nuria Sánchez and skippered by the Olympian Natalia Vía-Dufresne
· In the competition organized by the Monte Real Yacht Club by delegation of the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation and sponsored by Grupo Isonor, 8 teams from different communities participate
· The regatta committee hopes to be able to hold new tests of this last phase of the Iberdrola Women’s Sailing Circuit this Sunday on a day in which the weather forecasts are somewhat more benevolent
An orange alert due to a storm with sustained winds above 30 knots and gusts of more than 40 conditioned the premiere of the final of the National Women’s Sailing League that is being held this weekend in Baiona, delaying its start for more than five hours.
From twelve noon, when the tests were scheduled to start, until almost ten past five in the afternoon, when the first and only regatta of the day could finally start, the crews stayed on the ground watching Beatrice, the low pressure system that arrived in Galicia after the passage of the Armand storm, brought with it a maritime storm.
It took hours for the conditions to be conducive to sailing, but the passage of a downpour and the subsequent drop in wind intensity gave a respite to the event, opened a parenthesis of improvement in the weather and the regatta committee was able to set up a field with a quite boarded south wind and about 23 knots of intensity, with peaks of more than 30, even reaching 39 knots on some very specific occasion.
This is how the participating crews, from the Canary Islands, the Basque Country, the Valencian Community and Galicia, competed, competing in fleet and real time, two windward-leeward type tests between buoys.
The winner of both was the Dorsia Coviran Sailing Team, the boat built by Nuria Sánchez and led by the Olympian Natalia Vía-Dufresne who runs for the Marina Burriananova (Castellón).
In the first race, while the rest of the crews stayed more or less together throughout the navigation, the Valencian J80 was always in the lead, at a distance, marking power, and managed to be the first to cross the finish line. The second and third places were occupied by the boat from the Real Club de Regatas de Alicante, led by Berta Campos; and the canary Code Zero, by Simona Manfredini.
In the second and last regatta of the day, the victory was also for Dorsia, but the team did not have it so easy and had to fight harder for the victory due to the good performance of the Cantabrian Zona Norte de María Sánchez (RCM Santander), who finished second. ; and the Alicante team, which finished third.
Thus, after this first day, the Dorsia Covirán Sailing Team, the Real Club de Regatas de Alicante and the Galician Pazo de Cea, with Rosario García at the helm, are first, second and third; and with two disputed tests, the competition organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates by delegation of the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation and the sponsorship of Grupo Isonor, is already valid for scoring in the state circuit.
The start of the Sunday session is scheduled for eleven in the morning and it will be in the afternoon, at the edge of six, when the awards ceremony will be held for the winners, both of the Isonor de Baiona Trophy and of the Iberdrola Women’s Sailing Circuit (Abra-Alicante-Mallorca-Baiona). The event will be attended, among other authorities, by the Minister of Equality of the Xunta de Galicia, the general director and the commercial director of Grupo Isonor; and the delegate of Iberdrola in Galicia.
FINAL OF THE WOMEN’S SAILING LEAGUE
Monte Real Yacht Club Baiona, 21 – 23 October 2022
Classification of the ISONOR TROPHY after the first day
1. DORSIA COVIRÁN SAILING TEAM · NATALIA VÍA-DUFRESNE · MARINA BURRIANANOVA
2. ROYAL RACING CLUB OF ALICANTE · BERTA CAMPOS · ROYAL RACING CLUB OF ALICANTE
3. CEA PAZO · ROSARIO GARCÍA ROYO · MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
4. CODE ZERO · SIMONA MANFREDINI · CODE ZERO SPORTS CLUB
5. MIUDO MARTA RAMADA MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
6. NORTH ZONE MARÍA SÁNCHEZ ROYAL MARITIME CLUB OF SANTANDER
7. SND CORMORÁN AFRICA ALONSO MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
8. FHIMASA · SILVIA MARCE · REAL CLUB MARÍTIMO DEL ABRA – REAL SPORTING CLUB