Outstanding Portuguese skipper Rui Ramada led the Atlantic MBA crew to victory in the first major cruise competition of the spring season
· The MBA won the Vigo-Baiona route along with Luis Pérez’s Balea Dous, who took one of the competition’s gold medals to Rodeira for the second consecutive year
· Pedro Pazos’ Oral Group once again demonstrated its power in the water and was the best on the Sanxenxo-Baiona route, achieving another of the trophy podiums
· In the J80 class the winner was Juan Luis Tuero’s Luna Nueva, and the Erizana skippered by the very young sailor from Vigo Marta Rego won the Figaro class
The Atlantic MBA skippered by the outstanding Portuguese sailor Rui Ramada was proclaimed the winner, this Saturday in the Rías Baixas, of the Comunica Trophy, the first major cruise competition of the spring season, organized by the Monte Real Yacht Club with the collaboration of the Royal Sanxenxo Nautical Club and the Royal Nautical Club of Vigo.
In the trophy, which this year changed its design and was held with a double start format from Sanxenxo and Vigo, more than 200 sailors participated aboard the 34 registered boats. A fleet that had to face complicated conditions due to the wind, which disappeared at times and left them floating in calm conditions that lasted up to an hour and a half.
The boats that started as favorites stood out from the first moments. After the start honk in Sanxenxo, Pedro Pazos’ Oral Group was quickly placed at the head of the fleet, and with a very good navigation managed to revalidate the victory achieved in the previous edition. Adolfo Castro’s Youkounkoun, from the Portonovo Yacht Club, came third in the classification for the Sanxenxo-Baiona track, which is almost 16 miles long.
The route was shorter for the sailboats that started in Vigo at two in the afternoon, one hour after the ones from Sanxenxo. They sailed just over 9 and a half miles to Carallones, where the regatta committee decided to shorten the course after suffering a great calm in Toralla.
Divided into two classes according to their competitive ability, those who finally took the victory were the Atlantic MBA of Rui Ramada del Monte Real; and Luis Pérez’s Balea Dous, who came ready to repeat his triumph, and took Rodeira back with the gold he had already achieved in 2017.
Behind the Atlantic MBA were La Burla Negra by Juan José Martínez, from Monte Real; and the Bosch Service Solutions of the Club Marítimo de Canido, skippered by Ramón Ojea. And below the Balea Dous, in the second class of the Vigo-Baiona route, were the Juliana by Deep Blue by Vicence Cid, with a pendant from the Real Club Náutico de Vigo; and the Q Talento of Javier Rey, from the Monte Real Yacht Club, silver and bronze of the Comunica Trophy.
In the J80 class, victory went to Juan Luis Tuero’s Luna Nueva; and second and third place for Cansino by Manuel Fernández and Boy de Canto by Carlos Hernández.
The Erizana of the very young sailor from Vigo, Marta Rego, prevailed in the Figaros competition, ahead of the Ladeira of Carlos Castelao and the Silleiro of Ramón Palao.
At the awards ceremony for the winners, held at the Monte Real Club de Yates once the competition in the water had finished, several executives from Comunica, the company sponsoring the trophy, participated. Among them were its executive director, Roberto Lira; the financial director, Jorge Berridy or Vânia Marlise, art director of the visual communication firm.
After putting an end to the Comunica Trophy, the Monte Real Yacht Club is now preparing for another of its great events this year, the Repsol Trophy, which will be held next weekend. The traditional spring regatta of the Baionese club hosts this year the Spanish Championship of the J80 class, which will be attended by monotypes from all over the peninsula. The appointment is on April 28, 29 and 30, and May 1.
WINNER OF THE COMMUNICA TROPHY 2018
ATLANTIC MBA RUI RAMADA MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
COMUNICA TROPHY WINNERS SANXENXO – BAIONA
1. ORAL GROUP PEDRO PAZOS ROYAL YACHT CLUB OF SANXENXO
2. YOUKOUNKOUN ADOLFO CASTRO PORTONOVO YACHT CLUB
COMUNICA TROPHY WINNERS VIGO – BAIONA (1)
1. ATLANTIC MBA RUI RAMADA MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
2. THE BLACK MOCK · JUAN JOSÉ MARTINEZ · MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
3. BOSCH SERVICE SOLUTIONS RAMÓN OJEA MARITIME CLUB OF CANIDO
COMMUNICA TROPHY WINNERS VIGO – BAIONA (2)
1. BALEA DOUS LUIS PÉREZ ROYAL YACHT CLUB OF RODEIRA
2. THE JULIANA BY DEEP BLUE VICENTE CID ROYAL YACHT CLUB OF VIGO
3. Q TALENT · JAVIER REY · MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
COMUNICA TROPHY WINNERS J80 CLASS
1. NEW MOON JUAN LUIS TUERO MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
2. CANSINO MANUEL FERNÁNDEZ MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
3. SINGING BOY · CARLOS HERNÁNDEZ · MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
COMUNICA TROPHY WINNERS FIGARO CLASS
1. ERIZANA MARTA REGO MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
2. LADEIRA CARLOS CASTELAO MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
3. SILLEIRO RAMÓN PALAO MONTE REAL YACHT CLUB
>>>> Complete classifications COMUNICA TROPHY