· The Portuguese crew of the Miudo of the We Do Sailing club won the first day of the Infinitus Rent Trophy that was held in Baiona
· El Cansino by Fernándo Yáñez del Monte Real and La Galera by Rosario García from the Real Club Náutico de A Coruña were placed in second and third position
· The Monte Real Yacht Club Winter League lived up to its name and offered a typical winter day with leaden skies, cold and rain
The Miudo of the We Do Sailing club, skippered by the Portuguese Afonso Leite, scored the first podium of the Infinitus Trophy this Saturday in Baiona after winning on the opening day of the championship organized by the Monte Real Yacht Club.
The Winter League of the Baiona club lived up to its name and presented itself to the J80 fleet with a typical winter day, with leaden skies, cold and rain. Despite the unfavorable conditions, the sailors came out wanting to make their debut in the first regatta of the year, and the committee forced, with considerable difficulty, the celebration of two tasks, in which a very shifty and low-intensity wind prevailed.
With the two courses shortened in the second passage through the windward buoy, the fleet achieved very different results. The first heat was won by Fernando Yáñez’s Cansino, skippered today by the former two-time Galician vaurien champion, Castor Alonso. In the second baton the crew lost some steam and finished fourth, finally falling to second place overall.
The victory of the second round was signed by the Portuguese Miudo, with a victory that, added to the fourth place achieved in the first round, gave them the provisional gold of the championship. The bronze went to the J80 La Galera, skippered by Rosario García, from the Real Club Náutico de A Coruña.
Miguel Lago’s Virazón, who returned to the J80 competitions in Baiona after several months racing in the 6m class, is in fourth place and very close to him, just one point away, is Juan Luis Tuero’s Luna Nueva .
Completing the Monte Real Winter League classification are the Meltemi by Guillermo Blanco, the Pazo de Cea by María Campos, the Namasté by Luis de Mira and the Marina Real by Joaquin Cobelo. Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen, who had finished the tests in second position, fell to tenth place after the resolution of a protest against him.
Below him, Yago González-Robatto’s Cormorant II, Francisco J. Martínez’s SND Cormorant, Bernardo Macedo’s Mondo, Enrique Porto’s Ferralemes and Manuel Maria Cunha’s Marías.
The Infinitus Rent Trophy returns to Baiona at the end of the month, with the second day of tests on Saturday, January 25.
GENERAL CLASSIFICATION (Top5) INFINITUS RENT TROPHY
1. MIUDO · Afonso Leite · We Do Sailing
2. TIRED · Fernándo Yáñez · Monte Real Yacht Club
3. LA GALERA · Rosario García · Real Club Náutico A Coruña
4. VIRAZÓN · Miguel Lago · Monte Real Yacht Club
5. NEW MOON Juan Luis Tuero Monte Real Yacht Club