· The Portuguese sailboat led by Manel Cunha won on the third day of the one-design championship organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates and snatched the lead from Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen
· Both crews maintain an intense hand in hand for the podium since the start of the competition and cross the halfway point in the league separated by just two points in the general classification
· The Spaco de Santiago Estévez skippered this Saturday by Javier Martínez Valente and the Alboroto de Juan Carlos Ameneiro were the other two outstanding boats of the regatta day
After two days trying to overcome it without success, the Marías of the Portuguese Manel Marías managed to overtake this Saturday the Okofen of Javier de la Gándara in the general classification of the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League, organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates.
Both crews have been in an intense hand-in-hand fight for the podium since the start of the competition, and Marías’ victory on matchday three of the league was what allowed them to take the lead from Okofen, who this Saturday achieved fifth place in the only test disputed.
It was without a doubt a very complicated day due to the wind, which took a long time to settle and did not blow with the desired intensity. This caused delays in the start of the competition, the cancellation of a test halfway through and the shortening of the only sleeve that could be played. There were also two general calls with the consequent repetition of the outputs.
A very mixed scene for a fleet that left many surprises in the water. The main one, the promotion of Marías to the first place in the classification over Okofen, who this Saturday entered fifth on the finish line. The Portuguese achieved victory after a heart-stopping finish with Spaco, whom they managed to overtake in the final meters.
The people from Vigo, who were led by Javier Martínez Valente before Santiago Estévez was absent due to injury, were just a few seconds away from the stage victory. Behind them entered another of the outstanding boats of the day, Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Alboroto, which was damaged by the cancellation of the first test, in which they were first.
Marías, Spaco and Alboroto were the winners of the third day of the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League, but of them only Marías holds a podium position in the general classification.
They are first with 9 points, closely followed by Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen, with 11 points; and a little further away, with 22 points, is Alejandra Suárez’s Cansino. In the middle of the table, a group of four boats are grouped with very little separation. They are Bernardo Macedo’s Mondo, with 41 points; Francisco Martínez’s SND Cormorant, with 45 points; Luis de Mira’s Namasté, with 46 points; and Yago Marquina’s Miudo, with 47 points.
In addition to competing, the fleet that is competing in the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League received this Saturday the first instructions from the Olympic coach Carlos Llamas, who made his debut as a coach of the Baionese one-designs for the class world championship that the Monte Real Club of Yachts will organize in 2023.
After observing the crews in the water and recording videos of their maneuvers, Llamas held a briefing with the different teams at the club’s facilities in Baiona. It was his first contact with the sailors, with whom he will gradually delve into possible improvements.
The man from Malaga will continue with the training of the crews on the next regatera day, scheduled for the 20th. It will be the fourth of the five stages scheduled for the AEDAS Homes J80 Autumn League, the end of which is scheduled for December 18.
AEDAS HOMES J80 FALL LEAGUE
Classification after the third day
1. MARÍAS MANEL CUNHA MRCYB 9 POINTS
2. OKOFEN · JAVIER DE LA GANDARA · MRCYB · 11 POINTS
3. TIRED · ALEJANDRA SUÁREZ · MRCYB · 22 POINTS
4. MONDO BERNARDO MACEDO MRCYB 41 POINTS
5. SND CORMORÁN FRANCISCO MARTÍNEZ MRCYB 45 POINTS
….. up to 20 classifieds.