· The Rampage of Juan Carlos Ameneiro of the Monte Real Club de Yates de Baiona seals an almost perfect opening day, positioning itself as the first leader
· Nine and thirteen points behind him are Ignacio Camino’s Solintal (Santander) and Rafael Díaz’s Dorsia Covirán (Castellón), second and third
· With a northeasterly wind of between six and eight knots of intensity, the fleet of almost forty boats premiered markers with the dispute of three races
· The Regatta Committee will try to complete another three races on Saturday with which the discarding of the worst result for each team would come into play
Great start of the J80 Spanish Championship in the Galician Rías Baixas. The appointment organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates de Baiona with the sponsorship of Gestilar gave the starting honk this Friday for the first tests in the waters of the Vigo estuary, and it did so with one of the local teams, the Alboroto de Juan Carlos Ameneiro, comfortably dominating among a fleet of almost forty teams fighting for the national title.
The day began punctually in the regatta field located in the Cíes anchorage and it did so with very good conditions for navigation. The wind, from the northeast component and with a stable intensity of seven or eight knots, allowed the fleet to open markers with the dispute of the first three tests of the program.
The first victory of the day was played by two teams practically from the start. Ignacio Camino’s Solintal from Cantabria was the fastest and managed to score a comfortable victory ahead of local Juan Carlos Ameneiro’s Alboroto, who was second. Behind, at a considerable distance, the third position was awarded to another team from Monte Real, Luis de Mira’s Namasté with a brilliant performance in the opening test.
Already in the second, with a little less wind, it was Javier de la Gándara’s Okofen that took the cat to the water, while Alboroto repeated with a second place and Rafael Díaz’s Dorsia Covirán burst among the top teams scoring the third position.
It was in the last test of the day when the crew led by Ameneiro managed to complete a great day of regattas, taking their first partial victory ahead of two other teams sailing under the banner of Monte Real: Spaco de Santiago Estévez and again the Namasté, second and third respectively.
With these results, El Alboroto, which also counts among its ranks the former Spanish J80 champion Javier Aguado, Javier Lago and Juan José Lago, becomes the first leader of the Spanish Championship – Gestilar Trophy, and does so with an advantage of nine points over the second, Solintal -which added a seventh and a sixth in the second and third tests-, and thirteen over Dorsia Covirán, which is provisionally placed third.
Once on land, Ameneiro stated that “we have seen ourselves very well, but the truth is that we did not think we would be so high, because this is a very competitive fleet with teams that have been very high in World and European Championships” . The Galician shipowner also highlighted the role played this Friday by both the ship and the crew, who have been key to being at the head of the fleet: “The boat has behaved very well, we have followed a good tactic and we have achieved some good positions defending ourselves very well so far. Now it’s time to continue there, since in such long championships you have to be regular and try to defend “. A great start, without a doubt, for Alboroto, which already this year had one of its best seasons in the J80 del Monte Real league.
If the wind allows it, the competition will resume on Saturday for the J80 fleet starting at twelve noon. Ahead, another two more days in which everything is still to be decided and in which the teams promise to fight until the end.
“In the three-day championships, as is the case here, what it is about is not puncturing and not doing an off-line, because it is something that already conditions the entire championship” affirmed the skipper of the Solintal, the former world champion of the Ignacio Camino class, who defends the banner of the Real Club Marítimo de Santander in second position. “We always aspire to everything, we try to do the best we can and as far as we go, if we can be at the top it will be great”.
The Spanish J80 Championship is organized by the Monte Real Club de Yates with the sponsorship of Gestilar and Homes by Gestilar and the collaboration of the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation and the Royal Galician Sailing Federation. It also has the support of the Xunta de Galicia, the Pontevedra Provincial Council and the Pontevedra City Council; and from brands and companies such as Volvo Autesa, Martin Miller’s Gin or Terras Gauda, among others.
J80 SPANISH CHAMPIONSHIP GESTILAR TROPHY
Monte Real Yacht Club Baiona, 15 – 18 September 2022
TOP 10 classification after the first day
1. ALBOROTO · JUAN CARLOS AMENEIRO · MRCYB · 5 POINTS
2. SOLINTAL IGNACIO CAMINO RCM SANTANDER 14 POINTS
3. DORSIA COVIRÁN · RAFAEL DÍAZ · CLUB · MARINA BURRIANANOVA · 18 POINTS
4. NAMASTE · LUIS DE MIRA · MRCYB · 19 POINTS
5. OKOFEN · JAVIER DE LA GANDARA · MRCYB · 20 POINTS
6. TIRED · NANO YÁÑEZ · MRCYB · 21 POINTS
7. SOLVENTIS · MALALO BERMÚDEZ · MRCYB · 27 POINTS
8. PALIBEX GUILLERMO GONZÁLEZ RCM SANTANDER 32 POINTS
9. I3D ATLANTIC · GUILLERMO BLANCO · RCN CORUÑA · 36 POINTS
10. MAIJA JOSÉ LUIS PÉREZ MRCYB 37 POINTS