· The couples formed by Rui Ramada and Óscar Peixoto and Nano Yáñez and Manuel Fernández, both from Monte Real, won the MRW Trophy this Saturday with the titles of Galician Champions of A Two men in the ORC and J80 classes
· The best male-female crew was formed by Brenda Maure and Jacobo Vecino from RCN Vigo and the champions in the female section were Marta Ramada and Ana Sardiña from MRCYB
· The prizes of the VIII Rafael Olmedo Memorial went to the best teams in each class: the Yess of Rui Ramada and Óscar Peixoto (ORC) and the Cansino of Nano Yáñez and Manuel Fernández
· After the celebration of the Galician A Dos Championship, the Monte Real is now focusing on the Conde de Gondomar Trophy and the Príncipe de Asturias Trophy, which will be held between July 22 and 25 and the first weekend of September
Baiona elevated the new Galician champions of A Dos this Saturday after the celebration of a new edition of the MRW Trophy, in which not only the absolute, mixed and women’s regional titles of navigation in reduced crews were put into play; but also the awards of the VIII Rafael Olmedo Memorial.
The male prizes of the two classes in dispute (ORC and J80) went to the couples formed by Rui Ramada and Óscar Peixoto (ORC) and Nano Yáñez and Manuel Fernández (J80), both from the Monte Real Club de Yates. They were the best in the competition and are, as of today, the new Galician A Dos champions, as stated on the plaques given to them by the Royal Galician Sailing Federation.
In this edition of the Galician Championship, in addition to the men’s prizes, distinctions were awarded again, as had been done in the previous edition for the first time in the history of the competition, to the best female and mixed crews.
The creation of these special categories depended on the number of entries in each of them and managed to form the female category in J80, with the winners being Marta Ramada and Ana Sardiña, from Monte Real; and mixed in ORC, where the couple formed by Brenda Maure and Jacobo Vecino, from the Real Club Náutico de Vigo, won.
The development of the test was a full-fledged nortada. The north wind blew sharply and with intensity from the start, which occurred promptly at eleven in the morning; to the turning point at the Camouco lighthouse, in Ons; and it remained the same, both in direction and intensity (13-15 knots with peaks of 19) until the finish line, which the regatta committee placed inside the bay of Baiona.
The largest sailboat in the fleet, the Yess (a Hanse 630 E), owned by Rui Ramada and Óscar Peixoto, completed “flying” a total of 35.3 miles. It took just two and a half hours to turn the Camouco and just over four and a half hours to finish the test.
Among the rest of the crews, those of the Deep Blue, the Salaño Dos, the Orión, the Fend la Bise and La María stood out. This group of five boats, from the Real Club Náutico de Vigo, the Monte Real Club de Yates and the Club Náutico de Cabanas, all with great sailors on board, always remained at the head of the fleet without losing sight of each other. the others.
The Yess (MRCYB) finished the winner of the MRW Trophy in the ORC class, leaving second and third position to Salaño Dos of Jacobo Vecino and Brenda Maure (RCN Vigo) and Orión of Javier Pérez and Esteban Gañete (MRCYB). In the ORC OPEN class, the Secolite of Javier Rey and Jorge Justo (MRCYB), the Bouvento of David Fontán and Alex Luca de Tena (MRCYB) and the Tutatis of Roy Alonso and Alechu Retolaza (MRCYB) stood on the podium.
These last two boats concentrated all the attention of the Figaros fleet due to the intense hand in hand they maintained throughout the test; and due to the fact that managers from Monte Real (the vice president and sports director at Tutatis) and club coaches competed. Finally, it was the trainers David Fontán and Alex Luca de Tena who won the prize, after gaining distance in the last few miles and completing a great regatta finish.
In the J80 real-time competition, the surprise of the day was given by Francisco Javier Martínez and Alfonso Otero’s SND Cormorán, tacking the first at Camouco; although he finally finished the test in second position behind Cansino de Nano Yáñez and Manuel Fernández, one of the most solvent in the entire test. After the gold and silver of the two Monte Real boats, the bronze of the monotypes went to ¡Ay Carmela! of the Liceo Marítimo de Bouzas, manned by Juan Martínez Pazó and José Ignacio Correa.
Within the framework of the MRW Trophy, in addition to the Trophy prizes and the plaques to the new Galician Champions of A Dos, the prizes of the VIII Rafael Olmedo Memorial were awarded to the general winners of the two classes in contention: the Yess (ORC) and the Tired (J80). They received them from Rodrigo Olmedo, son of the former president of Monte Real for more than 40 years and to whom this competition has been dedicated for 8 years.
Participating in the awards ceremony, which took place with a very good atmosphere in the gardens of Monte Real, were the president of the organizing club, José Luis Álvarez; the executive director of MRW and sponsor of the competition, Santos Almeida; the deputy mayor of Baiona, Óscar Martínez; the Deputy for Sports of the Pontevedra Provincial Council, Gorka Gómez; and the president of the Dinghy Sailing Committee and director of the Royal Galician Sailing Federation, Ignacio Campos.
MRW TROPHY · GALICIAN CHAMPIONSHIP OF TWO · VIII RAFAEL OLMEDO MEMORIAL
Monte Real Yacht Club Baiona, June 11, 2022
GALICIAN TWO CHAMPIONS · ABSOLUTE ORC CLASS
YESS RUI RAMADA AND ÓSCAR PEIXOTO MRCYB
GALICIAN TWO CHAMPIONS ORC MIXED CLASS
SALAÑO TWO · BRENDA MAURE AND JACOBO VECINO · RCN VIGO
GALICIAN TWO CHAMPIONS J80 ABSOLUTE CLASS
CANSINO · NANO YÁÑEZ AND MANUEL FERNÁNDEZ · MRCYB
GALICIAN TWO CHAMPIONS J80 FEMALE CLASS
MIUDO MARTA RAMADA AND ANA SARDIÑA MRCYB
WINNERS OF THE VII RAFAEL OLMEDO MEMORIAL (OVERALL WINNERS OF ORC AND J80)
• Overall ORC Winner: YESS RUI RAMADA AND ÓSCAR PEIXOTO MRCYB
• General winner J80: CANSINO · NANO YÁÑEZ AND MANUEL FERNÁNDEZ · MRCYB
WINNERS OF THE MRW TROPHY
MRW TROPHY ORC CLASS
1. YESS RUI RAMADA AND OSCAR PEIXOTO MRCYB
2. SALANO TWO · JACOBO VECINO AND BRENDA MAURE · RCN VIGO
3. ORION · JAVIER REY AND ESTEBAN GAÑETE · MRCYB
MRW TROPHY ORC OPEN CLASS
1. SECOLITE · JAVIER REY AND JORGE JUSTO · MRCYB
2. BOUVENTO · DAVID FONTÁN AND ALEX LUCA DE TENA · MRCYB
3. TUTATIS · ROY ALONSO AND ALECHU RETOLAZA · MRCYB
MRW TROPHY FIGARO CLASS
1. BOUVENTO · DAVID FONTÁN AND ALEX LUCA DE TENA · MRCYB
2. TUTATIS · ROY ALONSO AND ALECHU RETOLAZA · MRCYB
3. SERRALLEIRAS SANTI MEYGIDE AND FCO JAVIER CAMBA MRCYB
MRW TROPHY J80 CLASS
1. TIRED · NANO YÁÑEZ AND MANUEL FERNÁNDEZ · MRCYB
2. SND CORMORÁN · FRANCISCO JAVIER MARTÍNEZ AND ALFONSO OTERO · MRCYB
3. OH CARMELA! · JUAN MARTÍNEZ PAZÓ AND JOSÉ IGNACIO CORREA · LM BOUZAS